Selling CBD on Shopify in the United States (US)
This page was printed on May 07, 2022. For the current version, visit https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/cbd-products.
If you’re a US merchant and you want to learn how to set up your Shopify store to sell hemp and hemp-derived products that contain cannabidiol (CBD), then use this page for information about some laws surrounding hemp and hemp-derived products that might apply to your business. Learn more about hemp and hemp-derived products.
Hemp is a type of plant in the cannabis sativa plant species, and produces a broad range of cannabinoids. Hemp doesn’t produce high levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), but is capable of producing high concentrations of CBD.
To sell hemp and hemp-derived products that contain CBD, you need to review and submit the Attestation for the Sale of Hemp and Hemp-Derived Products.
The Attestation for the Sale of Hemp and Hemp-Derived Products is only available to stores that are based in the United States. If the document doesn’t open in your Shopify admin, then verify that your store is a US-based store.
If you haven’t created a Shopify store yet, then go to www.shopify.com/sell/cbd to sign up for a trial store.
Laws in the United States surrounding hemp and hemp-derived products are changing, so you should consult with legal counsel before you sell these products on Shopify. Shopify can’t provide legal advice on what and where you can sell.
Before selling hemp or hemp-derived products on Shopify, review and monitor federal, state, and local laws. You should also monitor updates from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Set up your store to sell hemp or hemp-derived products
If you sell CBD products, then you can only set up email-only order and shipping notifications. SMS notifications are not supported for merchants who sell CBD products.
- Log in to your Shopify store. If you haven’t created a store yet, then go to www.shopify.com/sell/cbd to sign up for a trial store.
- Carefully review and submit the Attestation for the Sale of Hemp and Hemp-Derived Products. You need to be signed into your Shopify account as the store owner to complete this form. If you’re not the store owner, or your store address is not located in the United States, then this link will automatically redirect you to the Shopify admin. Before you sell any CBD products, make sure that you understand and submit the attestation form. After you have submitted the form, the attestation process is automatic – you don’t need to wait for a response from Shopify regarding the attestation form. For more details on this form, please refer to the Requirements section.
- Select and apply for a third-party payment gateway. Shopify Payments is not available for hemp or CBD products at this time. However, Shopify has partnered with third-party payment gateways that support the sale of certain hemp and/or hemp-derived CBD products. The requirements for approval may vary for each gateway. Review the requirements and apply directly to any of these gateways using the following Shopify-specific links:
- Set up email-only customer notifications for orders and shipping. You can only send notifications related to CBD products and shops by email. SMS messages aren’t supported. For steps to enable email-only customer notifications, refer to Disable your customer’s SMS notifications.
This list may not be exhaustive, and may change over time.
Hemp-derived CBD transactions are vetted more carefully by third-party payment gateways than other transactions, so the application and approval process might be more involved than usual. Third-party payment gateways take into account many factors in approving payments and rates for shops selling CBD products, including product type, whether the business was recently created, transaction history, volume, product mix, and others. Approvals are at the discretion of each third-party payment gateway, and Shopify can’t guarantee the approval of your shop.
Additionally, it is important that you know your responsibilities. Like all Shopify merchants, it’s your responsibility to follow federal, state, and local laws and the respective policies of Shopify, our app and partner ecosystem, and any third-party providers. If you have additional questions, then contact the third-party providers directly, or consult with an attorney.
Merchants using Shopify Plus can contact the Merchant Success team for guidance and dedicated support in completing the steps required to sell hemp or hemp-derived CBD products on Shopify.
Disable your customer’s SMS notifications
You can only send notifications related to CBD products and shops by email. SMS messages aren’t supported. For information about customer notifications, refer to Set up your customer’s notification options at checkout.
Sell CBD online
Make your mark in a new industry with the tools you need to start selling hemp-derived CBD from your US-based store.
Try Shopify free for 14 days, no credit card required. By entering your email, you agree to receive marketing emails from Shopify.
Boost your CBD business with Shopify’s powerful features
Reliable payment gateways for every stage of your business
Sell CBD products online and in-person safely and securely. Shopify has partnered with a variety of payment gateways that offer options to scale with your hemp-derived CBD business.
Intelligent shipping to sell with peace of mind
Choose a shipping strategy that’s best for you. Spend more time building your business and less time monitoring orders by adding location-based settings to your hemp-derived CBD products that keep sales in permitted states.
Build your CBD business with confidence
Create a stunning online store that is tailored to your brand with the drag-and-drop store builder and over 6,000 integrated apps that add custom features and functionality.
Navigate the unique marketing landscape of hemp-derived CBD businesses. Use Shopify’s built-in SEO, tools, and apps to drive organic traffic to your site and help buyers find you.
Selling hemp-derived CBD comes with its own set of questions. Our comprehensive FAQ page, community forums, and award-winning support team are here to help you get started.
“As a business in the emerging CBD industry, we needed a platform that was reliable. It feels good to finally have a partner we can rely on to help us grow our CBD business.”
Michael Bumgarner | Cannuka
Scalable pricing plans
For businesses at every stage and size
Best for new ecommerce businesses with occasional in-person sales
Best for growing businesses selling online or in-store
Best for scaling businesses that require advanced reporting
Learn more about selling CBD
- Is selling CBD profitable?
Yes, selling CBD is profitable if you set your prices right. If your profit margins are great enough to cover your overhead costs with some left over, you are turning a profit. CBD products are a popular item among consumers.
- Find a dropshipping supplier for your CBD products.
- Add the CBD products to your website.
- Drive traffic to your website and product pages to generate sales.
- When a customer places an order, your dropshipper will handle fulfillment.
Yes, you can sell hemp-derived CBD products on Shopify. Cannuka is one example of a Shopify merchant that sells CBD products.
To price CBD products, total all of the costs associated with bringing your product to market, set your profit margin on top of those expenses, and list your prices. You can change prices over time to increase sales or profit margins.
Start your CBD business with Shopify today
Build your US-based CBD business with Shopify. Explore all the tools and services you need to get started.
No credit card required. By entering your email, you agree to receive marketing emails from Shopify.
Starting a different type of business?
Learn how Shopify can help you start, run, and grow your business—no matter what you sell.