CBD Oil Extraction Machine: The Ultimate Buying Guide
We grouped the most popular machine types for CBD oil extraction based on the primary substance that makes extraction possible. These substances include Carbon dioxide (CO2), hydrocarbon, and ethanol. Each type is described briefly below:
Carbon dioxide (CO2)
• This method uses carbon dioxide as a natural solvent, which breaks down hemp to release CBD.
• There are three sub-categories under this method: supercritical, subcritical, and midcritical.
• The supercritical method works at high temperatures and typically produces greater CBD yield than the other two sub-methods. However, at high temperatures, other important extracts such as terpenes could be destroyed . Think of it as losing essential vitamins and minerals from while frying vegetables.
• The subcritical and mid-critical methods (cold extractions) produce lower yields of CBD oil , but preserve the presence of other desired extracts.
• Carbon dioxide extraction machines tend to be expensive and have a fundamental issue with scalability.
• There are three major types of hydrocarbons used as solvents for this method: butane, methane, and propane.
• Although these substances exist as gases at room temperature, they can be into liquid form under pressure.
• Although powerful, these solvents, can pull out important substances from the hemp plant while leaving other undesirable products behind such as chlorophyll.
• This method works faster than the CO2 method, and the equipment is less expensive as well. However, these gains are offset by risks associated with using these substances as they are very flammable and combustible . This quality requires any extraction equipment using this method to be housed entirely in a Class 1, Division 1 (C1D1) facility, which can quickly raise costs.
• This process is also not easily scalable as there are purchasing quantity restrictions on these solvents.
• Ethanol is a highly-purified version of alcohol that is also used to extract CBD from hemp biomass.
• At room temperature, ethanol is abrasive . This means it tends to extract everything from the hemp biomass, including unwanted substances such as chlorophyll, lipids, and fats, which will require further separation and filtration techniques.
• However, when the solution it is supercooled, it can be used to selectively extract desired substances only.
• One drawback of this method is that traces of ethanol can still be found in the finished products. Ethanol in finished products must not exceed 0.5% otherwise, it can not be sold.
• Supercooled ethanol extraction machines do not require further separation techniques such as filtration and winterization.
• Supercooled ethanol extraction machines are the most common CBD oil extraction methods because even though they are similar to the hydrocarbon process, they are comparable to carbon dioxide machines in terms of safety .
Water Vapor Extraction
• This extraction method uses steam to separate CBD oil from the hemp plant.
• The main components of this process are the boiler, the distillation tank , the condenser, and the collecting flask.
• The distillation tank contains plant material . Water is heated in the boiler and the steam produced travels upward into the distillation tank. In the distillation tank, CBD is released from the plant into the steam.
• The vapors are then captured in a tube and condensed into oil and water . In the collection flask, the CBD oil is separated from the water through distillation.
Key Factor to Consider When Buying CBD Oil Extraction Machines
• Factors to consider when buying CBD oil extraction machines include the cost , the effectiveness of the extraction process, and the final product yield. Each extraction method also with its own unique pros and cons.
• Although CO2 hemp extraction machines are not the cheapest machines, many have high yields .
• Ethanol hemp extraction is cheaper but ethanol is highly flammable and any change in temperature can significantly impact the final product.
• Hydrocarbon hemp extraction is effective but the process is not ideal for medicinal products because of the risk of contamination.
• Ice water extraction is advantageous because of its simplicity. It is cheap to perform and maintain , and it does not use harmful chemicals. However, this method is more suitable for small scale use than commercial use.
Key Features to Look for When Buying CBD Oil Extraction Machines
Important features to look out for in a machine are: the machine’s safety profile , yield output, the type of solvent used, the extraction time, the efficiency rate, and the amount of processing required afterward.
• Different CBD oil extraction methods have varying levels of safety requirements. Ethanol extraction is not the safest because it uses a highly flammable solvent. Additionally, the hydrocarbon method required a C1D1 facility. The Ice Water Extraction, on the other hand, is extremely safe as it involves putting the plant material in ice water and then filtering it.
• Depending on your needs, it is important to look at the processing and commercial capacity , as well as energy consumption .
• This refers to how efficient the extraction process is in terms of yield and energy consumed.
• CO2 Cannabis Extraction machines have high yields , while Ice Water Extraction is more suited for small scale use.
• You should also find out if its operations are manual , semi-automatic, or fully automatic.
• The main difference between manual, semi-automatic and fully automatic CBD oil extraction machines is the level of human intervention required. Manual machines constantly require human intervention, semi-automatic machines require human intervention at intervals, and fully-automated machines require no human intervention once the process is started.
Certifications, Approvals & Stamps
It is also important to check if machines have passed certain certifications or have stamps of approval from manufacturing or federal governing bodies. Examples of certifications and stamps to look out for include the Food and Drugs Administration , 3A sanitary standards, current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP), and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
• FDA approval means that the Food and Drug Administration has determined that the benefits of the product in reference outweigh the known risks for the intended use.
• FDA clearance means the manufacturer can prove that their product is ‘ substantially equivalent to another (similar) legally marketed device’ that the FDA has cleared or approved.
• The 3-A Administrative Symbol Council represents both the USDA and the FDA as 3-A Sanitary Standards, Inc, also known as 3-A SSI.
• 3-A SSI’s mission has two main standards and practices. These standards and practices are: “1) to protect food meant for human consumption from contamination and 2) to guarantee that all product contact surfaces can be mechanically cleaned and dismantled manually for thorough inspections.”
• The Current Good Manufacturing Practices consists of FDA’s formal regulations regarding the design, monitoring, control, and maintenance of manufacturing processes and facilities.
• ASME certification and accreditation “certifies that stamped items conform to ASME standards, including the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (BPVC), the Bioprocessing Equipment (BPE) Standard, and/or Reinforced Plastic Corrosion Resistant Equipment (RTP-1) Standard.”
Where to Buy CBD Oil Machines
• For industrial purposes, it is recommended to buy directly from reputable companies. Examples of companies that sell industrial-scale CBD oil extraction machines include NuAxon Bioscience Inc. and Precision Extraction Solutions . NuAxon Bioscience Inc. supplied Hemp, Inc. with a large capacity of CO2 Supercritical Extraction equipment in 2017.
• Vendors for home-based extraction machines include Ablaze and Extract Craft .
• Alternatively, Ali Baba , a market place, offers many suppliers of CBD oil machines.
The price of home-based extraction machines ranges from $510 to $4,000 , while the same for industrial-based extractors can range a few thousand dollars to a few hundred thousand dollars , depending on the size and needs.
CO2 Hemp Extraction
• The cheapest extractor available is the OCO Labs’ SuperC extractor which costs $4,000 while the most expensive is the Apeks Supercritical CO2 System which costs $445,000 .
Ethanol Hemp Extraction
• The cheapest extractor available is the Source Turbo which costs $599 while the most expensive is Across International Rotovap which costs $19,470 .
Hydrocarbon Hemp Extraction
• The cheapest extractor available is the Ablaze Mini Closed Loop Extractor which costs $510 while the most expensive is The Io Extractor which costs $225,000 .
Water Vapor CBD Oil Extraction
• The price of water vapor CBD oil extraction machines ranges between $15,500 and $2 million .
Companies that Sell Used Machines
• This company has one of the largest selections of new and used hemp extraction machinery from major manufacturers, and they add new items every day so inventory is constantly changing. Customers can feel comfortable knowing they are purchasing from a vendor with an 80+ year old reputation for professionalism and expertise committed to providing unparalleled service .
• Aaron’s terms and conditions makes a disclaimer of all warranties of goods that are purchased “as is” and “with all faults”, and the company makes no representation of a warranty. The company strongly recommends buyers conduct an on-site inspection of goods and cannot be held responsible for a prior lack of inspection. Buyers also absolve Aaron’s from any responsibility of used goods after purchase.
• The company has an online ‘ Sell Us Your Equipment Form ‘ where sellers enter their name, company name, phone number, state, a description of the equipment being sold, asking price, and upload pictures. The buying department is responsible for reviewing the submissions.
• The company offers replacement parts that are engineered and manufactured to the original company expectations and reduce maintenance and improve uptime. Paul O. Abbe has provided most of the parts for over 50 years, and also completely refurbishes or rebuilds Paul O Abbe process equipment.
• The staff of Service Technicians, Mechanical and Process Engineers provide installation oversight, machine inspection , process recommendations and parts and maintenance recommendations.
• HempFlax provides used equipment as part of the company’s environmentally friendly approach . The used equipment is refurbished and upgraded to HempFlax’s standards that are continually refined to provide even better products with a smaller environmental footprint .
• The machines are comprised of 96% John Deere components and can be serviced by the 2,000 John Deere dealers and specialists around the world. HempFlax makes arrangements with the specialists and provides support and specific knowledge, but if more specific service is required it is taken over by GroeNoord .
• There is no information regarding warranties or guarantees from the company in regard to the equipment. The company’s general terms and conditions state that HempFlax guarantees that the goods correspond to the agreement and specifications stated in the offer but does not give guarantees regarding the usability of the goods for the intended purposes of the buyer. The purchaser guarantees the accuracy and completeness of the specifications and other information they provide for HempFlex to base the offer.
The company was founded on May 25, 2012 . The company is headquartered at 899 S College Mall Rd Unit 161, Bloomington, Indiana and has strong ties to India and herbs from the Ayurvedic tradition through the ownership of three certified organic farms.
• The company supplies the biggest names in the Natural product industry with its super-premium ingredients that are sourced from its own certified organic farms and from an organic co-op that the company founded with local farmers to ensure the farmers get fair prices for their work .
• The machines use a single-step extraction tailored to achieve highly concentrated products, “extracts and spent biomass are free of solvent residues “, mild temperatures ensures product stability and quality , among other benefits.
• Customer reviews and technical publications that review the company do not reveal any cons.
The company was founded in 2011 . The company headquarters is located at 2468 Industrial Row Dr, Troy, MI 48084. It has a California Showcase located at 2230 S Fairview St , Santa Ana, CA 92704.
• A benefit of buying from this company is the knowledge and comfort that the products come from an award-winning company known for its quality equipment and technology. Precision Extraction was awarded the 2018 Best in Equipment and 2019 Best in Technology by Green Entrepreneur Top 100 Cannabis Companies.
• The company has partnered with top and reputable companies such as Rivers Innovations and Cascade Sciences among others. Precision Extraction has “ unparalleled tech support and customer service” and is the “ world’s only provider of turn-key extraction labs”.
• Reviews support the high customer service perceptions of Precision Extraction. A review states the company went above and beyond to help them with their order even after numerous questions and changes and adjustments they made to the order.
• The company may be costly especially depending on the project, and that causes some customers to downsize their orders but they still deal with the company.
• The company has a 4.8/5 rating on Facebook and there is only one negative review that was not about the product.
• Glassdoor reviews gives cons of the company to be the constant pivoting to remain an industry leader in light of the overall industry growth and constantly changing regulations .
Cannabis Extraction Equipment
Cedarstone Industry has years of experience developing high-quality cannabis extraction equipment for operations of all sizes. Designed by our own in-house staff of engineers, our collection is built to outlast and outperform other cannabis oil extraction equipment on the market. We manufacture and install every facet of cannabis processing equipment you could need, including equipment for distillation, chromatography, crystallization, filtration, and drying. We also offer turnkey solutions for those looking to overhaul their efforts and who require a significant amount of cannabis extraction equipment.
Cannabis processing equipment carries out oil extraction by employing a number of major steps.
Extraction Major Steps
Extraction – During this process, biomass is placed inside extraction vessel with a solvent(Ethanol, C02, etc.) to remove soluble components, followed by filtration and separation process. The solvent then needs to be recovered from dry biomass, typically done with a centrifuge.
Centrifuge Extractor – Put biomass inside the rotor, fill the rotor with chilled ethanol, agitate the rotor barrel with biomass inside bidirectionally to extract, and then spin at high speed to get the extracted compound with ethanol.
Winterization – Separation of lipids from solution via solubility reduction via cold crashing followed by filtration. Typically done in beakers in a freezer, can also be accomplished in a filter reactor. This step can be skipped if initial extraction was done with pre-chilled solvent at a low temperature, such as -50 degree C.
Solvent Recovery – It is the step to separate cannabinoids from the solvent, typically via vacuum-assisted evaporation. Typically done in a Rotary Evaporator (RotoVap), Falling Film Evaporator (FFE), or Rising Film Evaporator (RFE)
Decarboxylation – Enrichment of THC or CBD content is typically performed. Quantities of non-psychoactive Δ9 (THCA) in the plant matter can be converted to THC by exposure to heat. Heat facilitates decarboxylation (a chemical rearrangement which expels carbon dioxide), transforming THCA to THC, CBDA to CBD.
Distillation – In this process, the separation of cannabinoids from impurities (Terpenes and plant material) via vacuum-assisted evaporation. Typically done on a Short Path Mantle based still (SPD, batch process) or a wiped/rolled film evaporator (WFE, continuous flow). The liquid or component is isolated by selective heating, vaporization, and condensation. Vacuum Distillation is the process that uses distillation under reduced pressure. Placing a liquid mixture under vacuum enables the distillation process to occur at a lower temperature. This lowers the liquid boiling point, increases the rate of distillation and reduces exposure of temperature-sensitive components.
Crystallization Reactor – The special process used to achieve very high purity CBD on a large scale without complex equipment. Dissolve the clear CBD oil that has already been winterized and distilled in near-boiling heptane or pentane and allow to cool slowly to grow crystallized CBD.
Chromatography – a method to isolate and purify cannabinoids, is often used in the cannabis industry to separate THC from CBD.
Turnkey industrial cbd oil extraction machine for sale
If you are seeking a weed wax extraction machine, then look no further than Cedarstone Industry. Weed wax and other cannabis products are becoming more and more common. Several states in the U.S. have begun decriminalizing marijuana, which opens up opportunities for a new industry. Cedarstone Industry saw the potential this industry could have and acted quickly.
Since 1992, Cedarstone Industry has dedicated its work to creating food processing equipment, storage vessels, CO2 extraction systems, and so much more. Now THC and CBD oil extraction machines are our next step. With more than 50 satisfied partners, Cedarstone Industry strives to work closely with clients.
Shiner Bock is just one of our many partners.
Customer service is one of the most important aspects of our business. When clients contact us, we offer a custom experience because not every client is from the same industry. The cannabis industry has different needs than what the commercial food and beverage industry needs. With that said, clients can feel reassured that we will provide the best product and experience.
Of course, Cedarstone Industry does more than just manufacture the machines in these industries. We also install and maintain them, so we work with partners at every step of the way. In addition to our expertise and customer service, we are ASME certified. So, clients can be assured we are meeting the public safety quality regulations.
The Growth of Weed Wax
Weed wax or cannabis wax is a growing product in the marijuana community due to its extremely high potency. The potency comes from the high levels of concentrated oils that originate from the cannabis plant. Wax can appear smooth and soft like butter or firmer with a crumbly texture like a honeycomb. Cannabis wax is capable of containing 90 percent THC, which is a significant amount compared to other products.
There are many ways to extract wax from cannabis, but they are not simple. Each process is different from the last and varies on the equipment being used. A popular choice is known as a rosin press. The process this machine uses is through heat, pressure, and time. They have grown in popularity due to not needing solvent. However, solvent-based extractions provide more bang for your buck when it comes to providing the consumer with a high-quality product.
Cannabis extraction is no easy task, as we have said already. Each step requires its own set of instructions and capable equipment. Fortunately, clients can find all the equipment they at Cedarstone Industry. Each machine we develop is created from stainless steel to ensure quality and durability. In addition, it offers an even better final product.
The Major Steps of Extraction
There are eight major steps in cannabis extraction. Cedarstone Industry is happy to offer the right equipment for each step in the process. Below, clients can analyze all eight steps in the process.
The first step is placing the biomass or plant material into the extraction vessel. In order to remove soluble components, the extraction requires a solvent such as ethanol or CO2. The following steps are filtration and separation.
The next step is to recover the solvent from the dry biomass. A centrifuge will help achieve such a goal. Place the biomass inside of the rotor and fill it with chilled ethanol. Then, the rotor barrel needs agitating in order to extract. It will then spin at high speeds the obtain the compound and ethanol.
Winterization includes the separation of lipids from the solution. This process is normally done by placing beakers in a freezer, but it can also work with a filter reactor. More importantly, this step may be skipped if the initial extraction step was performed with a pre-chilled solvent of at least -50 degrees C.
This is the complete extraction system from Cedarstone Industry.
Solvent recovery’s goal is to separate the cannabinoids from the solvent. A vacuum-assisted evaporation process will help with such a task.
During this process, THC and CBD substances are enriched. Non-psychoactive plant matter may be converted through heat exposure. The heat exposure facilitates a chemical realignment that expels carbon dioxide and subsequently transforms THCA to THC and CBDA to CBD.
Simply put, distillation separates cannabinoids from impurities. This step also uses vacuum-assisted evaporation. While under a vacuum, the process can occur at lower temperatures. Subsequently, the boiling point is also lower.
Crystallization is a special process that helps achieve a higher purity level in CBD. There is no complex equipment needed for this step, so it is easy to achieve. Simply dissolve the clear CBD oil into the heptane and pentane. Let it cool slowly in order to grow crystals.
Finally, the last major step isolates and purifies cannabinoids, which separates THC from CBD.
Cedarstone Industry’s Turnkey System
Cedarstone Industry’s turnkey extraction system offers the machines clients the need to create a high-quality product. From manufacturing to installation and maintenance, Cedarstone Industry is the perfect choice when it comes to a weed wax extraction machine.
Our CEX Series Extraction System includes the following:
- Pre-Chilled Ethanol Tanks Module
- Centrifugal Extraction Module
- Filtration Skid Module
- Ethanol Recovery Module
- Vacuum Skid
- NEMA 4X Stainless UL Listed Control
- Explosive Proof Intrinsically Safe, ATEX/SGS Certified Control Tablet
- UL Listed Pumps and Integrated Piping
For those interested in what the control panel has to offer, you can see the specifications below.
- Windows OS driven system
- Real-time Wi-Fi connectivity to control panel located within the safe room
- 10.1″ WUXGA Display, 1920 x 1200 resolution
- Up to 12 hours of battery life
- 3. 5 hours of dock charging time
- 128 GB of storage
- 4 GB of RAM
The Wax Extraction Machine Company
Cedarstone Industry does more than just a develop cannabis wax extraction machine. We work with more than 50 partners, including Blue Bell Creamery, Coca-Cola, and Heineken. If you are interested in the turnkey solutions we have to offer, then give us a call at (281) 397-3700.
Clients may also get in touch with us by using the form on our contact us page. Cedarstone Industry is a leader in industrial stainless steel equipment manufacturing. Again, we do more than just manufacture. Clients can expect our help at every step of the process. So, choose us when you are looking for a wax extraction machine.